Thursday, September 26, 2013

MVP Candidate: Carlos Gomez



Yesterday’s home run by Carlos Gomez caused the benches to clear, for what I believe was just Gomez celebrating and talking some smack against the Braves. You could see him say something to pitcher Paul Maholm and Freddie Freeman, and obviously there was some talk between him and Brian McCann. Freeman and Gomez were ejected. I don’t think Gomez even touched home plate because of McCann stopping him on the third base line.


Apparently this all was from an incident three months ago, when Maholm hit Gomez with a pitch. Gomez claimed that he was hit on purpose (and the video kind of backs him up too), so that it was good to get some revenge last night. Gomez apologized on Twitter, saying:

“I would like to apologize first to the fans, MLB, my teammates and the Brewers organization as well as the Braves organization…The way I carried myself on the field is unacceptable, I should have done better to control myself and set a good example…In the heat of the moment I let my emotions get the best of me. As a professional athlete I have to respect the game.”

First off, shame on Gomez and the Atlanta Braves. Come on, Carlos, you’re mad about a play that happened THREE MONTHS ago?? And Atlanta, this is the SECOND TIME where they’ve gotten mad at a celebration on a home run. First it was pitcher Jose Fernandez from the Marlins, and now it’s Gomez. If you don’t know what happened in the Marlins game, let’s just say it was basically the same incident as the Brewers game.

Lucky for me, both Gomez and the Braves are hot topics right now. The Braves are clear: they clinched the NL East, and look for home field advantage with the best record in the NL. Did you know that Carlos Gomez is (or at least should be) an MVP candidate?


I’ll talk about the Braves later (stay tuned!). So let’s talk about this Carlos Gomez guy. Gomez is a 27 year old from the Dominican Republic that was signed by the Mets as a free agent in 2001. He played only a year with New York before moving to Minnesota for two years, putting up average numbers. Since 2010, he has been a member of the Milwaukee Brewers, and has really started to surge this year.

carlos gomez joey vottoDefensively, he’s always been pretty solid. He reminds me of Torii Hunter: a centerfielder who makes robbing home runs look easy. In fact, he’s had some amazing robs this year, including one to rob Joey Votto to win the game! 



What’s different about him this year than previous is his offensive capabilities. From 2007-2011, Gomez batted just .243/.291/.357 with 25 homers and 147 RBI’s. Last year, his stats got better, as he batted .260/.305/.463 with 19 homers and 51 RBI’s. 

But this year has been something else. Though he’s been better defensively than offensively, he is still a statistician’s favorite. Right now, he is the Mike Trout of the National League. Batting .280/.333/.501 (which is just average for an outfielder), he has 27 doubles, 10 triples, 23 homers, 71 RBI’s, a career high 37 steals, and… here it is… an 8.0 WAR! 

That’s a 3.8 offensive WAR and an amazing 4.4 defensive WAR. It ties Andrew McCutchen in the NL for best overall WAR number. His BABIP is .341, and his Ultimate ZoneRating is 23.1, both well-above average. He leads the NL with a 28.4 Power-Speed #. Now can you see why stat nerds like me love him?

Here’s the problem with Gomez: he’s on a terrible team. I said before that he has the same WAR as McCutchen. Who would the MVP voters take, a guy on a playoff-clinching team, or a team that is 16 games under .500? Nevertheless, I still think that he should be in the discussion.

If I had to rank the NL MVP candidates, it would be this:

1.      Andrew McCutchen
2.      Paul Goldschmidt
3.      Carlos Gomez
4.      Clayton Kershaw
5.      Matt Carpenter

Don’t agree? Email me at statsbuddy42@gmail.com for your top five.

-Evan Boyd

No comments:

Post a Comment