Thursday, October 3, 2013

A Recap and a Look to Tonight



Yesterday, we saw two teams get rocked. We also saw two teams dominate. Two days ago, we saw the Rays win their third win-or-go home game in a row, and now they finally have some breathing room. Unfortunately for them, they have to play arguably the best team in baseball, the Boston Red Sox. 

The Pirates in their first NLDS series in over twenty years got off to a rocky start. I’ll be honest, I did not watch this game (I’ve had some family issues, which is why I did not write yesterday). But what I can tell you is that I was checking the score on my phone, and when all of the sudden the game went from no score to 7-0 Cardinals, I was quite surprised. 

Carlos Beltran crushed a three-run homer in Game 1, not that it was surprising.The St. Louis Cardinals showed, once again, how they are a dominant team in the playoffs. Carlos Beltran tied Babe Ruth (yes, Babe Ruth) with his 15th home run in the postseason. His three run home run started the rally (which was after an Adam Wainwright single that started the inning) in the bottom of the third, as the Cardinals would score four more in the inning. 

Top performers for the Cardinals were Beltran, Matt Holliday, David Freese, and Adam Wainwright. Freese got on base every single time (one reached on an error), making him reach on base for every single home game that he’s had in the postseason. Wow. 

Adam Wainwright completely outdueled the entire Pirates rotation. A.J. Burnett only survived two innings, giving up those seven earned and walking four. He threw 72 pitches, and only 38 were strikes. He now has a 31.50 ERA in the postseason. Wainwright, however, was masterful, as he only gave up three hits and one run in seven innings, striking out nine and walking none. 

Russell Martin, who was the player of the game in the wild card game against the Reds, came up with nothing, going 0-for-3 with a strikeout. Pedro Alvarez provided the only run with a solo home run. St Louis would go on winning 9-1. 

I’m surprised how big of a blowout the game was, but not surprised that the Cardinals won. I see them winning the series in four games.

On to the Dodgers/Braves came. This was more of a “what happens when an unstoppable force meets with an immovable object” question, because you had the Braves, who went 56-25 at home this year, host Game 1 against the dominant and soon-to-be two time Cy Young winner, Clayton Kershaw.

Clayton KershawLet’s just say Kershaw won the battle. He, like Wainwright, just outdueled the opponent, as he went seven innings, throwing 124 pitches, giving up one run on only three hits while striking out 12 and walking 3. Kris Medlen, the starter for the Braves, gave up five runs on nine hits and striking out four. Brian Wilson (Fear the beard!!!) pitched the 8th, and Kenley Jansen closed it out. 

With a series of only five, it’s tough to see if a team that had just lost a game at home can make a rebound to win. I say the Braves can do that. After Kershaw, starting pitching slowly dives from there. Yes, they have Zack Greinke, but he will make his first start in the postseason, and he is no Kershaw. He’s great, don’t get me wrong, but he still has to deal with the Braves on their home turf. I hope the Braves win at least one game so I can see Craig Kimbrel pitch. 

I still have the Braves winning this series. You can call me out after, but I have them winning. 

Joe Maddon, Alex CobbTampa Bay, as I mentioned before, will have to take on their division opponents tonight. It’ll be Jon Lester (15-8, 3.75 ERA) against Matt Moore (17-4, 3.29 ERA). I like the Red Sox in this series. A lot of people think that the Sox will blow them out completely, but I think it'll be closer than you think. 

If you put these two teams in the ALDS last year, the Rays would sweep, but they are two different teams, especially the Sox. They now have the advantage in pitching (barely), hitting (by far), and in relief (Uehara has been the best reliever in baseball, and Rodney wishes it was still last year). I have the Red Sox winning in four.
 


Don’t forget about the Tigers/Athletics game too, as game one of that series will be a great duel: Max Scherzer (21-3, 2.90 ERA) taking on Bartolo Colon (18-6, 2.65 ERA). That will be the game to watch. Both teams are dynamic, and of course I love the low-budget but get wins motto for the A's. Josh Donaldson might have a better chance of winning the MVP award than Miguel Cabrera now, so that matchup will be closely watched this series. 

I think the question here is how Cabrera will do. Remember, as well as Verlander did, last year's ALCS and ALDS was not because of Cabrera or Prince Fielder, but much of the offense came from Delmon Young (who is on the Rays now). In the postseason, it's whomever steps up, not whoever was the best in the regular season. Remember that.

I like the Tigers in this series in five games, but they are going to have to earn it. I think their pitching talent is too much for this Athletics team, especially one that plays in a heavily pitching-favorite stadium. But it might just be the best series to watch.

I'll be honest, there's no team that I think has no shot of winning it all. That's what I love about this year. All eight teams in right now have a strong chance of making it. Sure, there are favorites, but these teams are all strongly talented. I can't wait to see who pulls out on top.



Happy Friday. Check in with me tomorrow and I’ll look over the team that I think has performed the best so far. Email me at statsbuddy42@gmail.com with any questions/comments/concerns.

-Evan Boyd

No comments:

Post a Comment